Finding Success in the App Store – Learning From Hit Developers
This week Apple launched a redesigned App Store webpage. According to Apple, their aim is to help developers “Take advantage of new articles and videos designed to help you grow your business on the App Store and engage users worldwide. See how developers approach finding success on Apple platforms and what they’ve learned along the way.” Let’s have a brief tour of the new resources Apple provides.
Here you will find success stories and best practices described by the developers of some hit apps. See how Best Fiends took a creative approach to social media marketing. Find out how CARROT Weather was able to migrate to the Apple Watch and successfully introduce a new premium pricing model. Evernote and Smule are also featured here, and I would imagine that this list will change from time to time. This is a great way to learn from the best.
The new resources under the Planning section include:
- Discovery on the App Store—Find out how users can navigate the App Store and how our editors choose apps to feature.
- Choosing a category—Choose the most effective categories for your app to help users find it on the App Store.
- Choosing a business model—Explore the four main business models for apps on the App Store and find the right one for your app.
- Using the freemium business model—Find out how successful developers approach building their apps based on the freemium business model.
- Offering subscriptions—Offer an easy, one-click experience for digital subscriptions in your apps on the App Store.
- Engaging users with app updates—Find out how successful developers reengage existing users and attract new users with regular app updates.
- User acquisition marketing with app analytics—Increase downloads and attract users who will most value your app’s features and benefits.
- And so much more…
This section will list all the resources available for review guidelines, interface guidelines, Marketing guidelines, Apple Pay, and Apple Wallet usage. While these are great resources for anyone to look at, your development company should really know all these guidelines inside and out and be able to explain any relevant pieces to you. You wouldn’t vacation in a foreign country and hire a travel guide who just moved there, would you? If only I knew of a company that I could recommend to help guide you….