Mobile Web App Vs. Native Application
This is becoming more and more of a critical decision when looking to develop for the mobile marketplace. For those of you who don’t know, a native app can be downloaded from a smart phone store such as iTunes, while a mobile web app has to be accessed through the mobile web browser and then bookmarked for quick access.
The question of should you develop your mobile application as a mobile friendly website or a standard native application is really very complicated to hash through in a single blog post, so those of you who are really interested to know please call me.
There are however several factors that I normally see in this decision making process:
Reasons to go for a Mobile Web App:
- Internal application for employee and customer login.
- Does not require an app icon sitting on a smart phone.
- Does not want the app available for general download on iTunes or other stores.
- Large, enterprise wide app that requires many data feeds.
- Large quantity of videos, PDF’s or other data.
- Easier to develop and optimize for all platforms.
Reasons to go for a Native Application:
- Selling the application for a fee.
- Need to “brand” your icon by having it on the smart phone screen.
- Smaller files sizes, native app will work faster if running from the smart phone.
- Need to notify user base of updates.
- Native use of the internal GPS or accelerometer.
There are many more pro’s and con’s to cover, these are just a few when considering which direction to go. Give us a call at 888.856.2664 to discuss which option might work best for you.